Monday, November 9, 2009

Hello November!

To begin - pictured above is my booth at the 23rd annual Christmas Festival at the Seaport World Trade Center since I still don’t have photos of my “clean” studio which honestly isn't really all that clean or organized… yet! Also, I missed an update last week (heavens no!) because I had limited computer access + many long hours in the studio so you’re in for a treat as this is a double update! Woohoo!

The Design Hive in Cambridge on November 1st was full of great exhibitors as usual including the lovely "Nicoles", that's Ms. Lyons of Lola’s Urban Vintage and Ms. Deponte of Lilian Asterfield. Some other fabulous designer pals I haven’t mentioned before who were also showing their goods at DH include Erica Walker, Walker Silverworks – beautiful, clean and simple, her silver designs are crafted by hand in a tiny house in New Hampshire. Each piece has been formed with skill and celebrates the beauty and natural qualities of silver (love these earrings!);Kim Gonzaga of Stella Marie Soap Company with the slogan “a good bath freaking rules” says it all - as if relaxing in warm water wasn’t awesome enough, you can enhance the experience by lathering up with a yummy smelling cupcake. Come on, it doesn’t get better than that!; and last but certainly not least, Sara Harding of Sara Danielle Designs, handcrafted precious and semi-precious gemstone jewelry - Sara is a ball of positive energy and her work is delicate, feminine and sparkles with joy (like Sara)! Plus we're both Leos, have curly hair, AND we have the same camera! Here's hoping we have a bigger group of attendees for the next Design Hive on December 6th -the room is full of talent that needs to be seen and experienced!
The last 2 weeks I was up pretty late every night in preparation for the 23rd annual Christmas festival at the Seaport World Trade Center on November 6-8. Lots of last minute details to attend to and then... move in! I arrived at the Seaport WTC at 6pm on Thursday Nov 5th and even though I was moving at a feverish pace, I still wasn't done at 9pm. That's 3 hours of non-stop setting up!??!! So I had to leave the building at 9pm (actually, they announced they were setting the alarm at 9pm and I had 2 minutes to get out! subtle!) and return the next morning to finish setting up. Hey! it's not so easy to create an inviting, spacious 10'x10' world that includes paintings, jewelry AND stained glass, but I think after more than 5 hours, I did ok. I give myself a B-. Next time, I'll set up with the tables out front. Because I felt like people were intimidated to approach my space and walk in. Front and center is key.
That's momma (sporting a white pendant on a 30" inch chain) keeping me company on Sunday...
Despite the unseasonably gorgeous weather, there was still lots of foot traffic at the show though the vast majority of passersby simply passed by, likely overwhelmed by the endless amount of things to see, or maybe they just didn’t like the look of me, my booth, my intimidating mermaids, or my portraits of scantily clad ladies… hey, it’s possible! Needless to say, it was very fun people watching! And I still managed to find my people amongst the masses... yes, you special ladies and gents with style and flair who appreciate the unique & handmade! Papa and I had a particularly fun time and lots of laughs (after AAA retrieved the keys from his locked car ;) on Saturday when we encountered a familial threesome from Poughkeepsie, NY; Danbury, CT; and Lincoln, RI (above). And on Sunday, it was a hoot to meet artist Rose Bryant from NH who'd been reading Artscope on the ride to the show and spotted me and my Artscope centerfold and stopped to say hello! I meet the greatest people!

1 comment:

Andrea Becket said...

Appreciate thhis blog post