Monday, November 16, 2009

Chestnut Hill Mall - November 14th

I hadn’t been to the Chestnut Hill Mall in a long time and I was finally able to check it out, so to speak, this past Saturday thanks to the Jamaica Plain Arts Council. I was invited to participate in a holiday artisan showcase having participated in the JP Open Studios in September. So from 10am to 6pm, a sizeable group of JP affiliated artists took over the empty space adjacent to Bloomingdales & Brooks Brothers and though it was raining outside, the feeling inside was cozy and warm. Plus I got to see some friends and check out their newest creations including Cathryn Blackwell, Blackwell’s Stained and Leaded Glass. Yes, we’re both stained glass artists but we've got very different styles. She’s the lady you go to see to restore a lovely leaded window that needs some tlc! She's super and I loved her table set up with the glittering "snow" table! Anna Koon, painter, photographer and writer, was also at the show. She's involved in lots of creative ventures including film projects. yay! I enjoyed looking at her newest mixed media pieces, especially the ones depicting birds on wires. The images feel musical to me, probably because of the color combinations but mostly because birds on a wire remind me of sheet music!Lastly Rob Festa, Dog Devil Studio is an architect by trade but he's also a photographer so it makes perfect sense that he has a great eye for design, color and composition. His photographs have a painterly feel and warmth. I love the piano portraits... simply beautiful. I'd like to say thank you to my friend Nicole for stopping by, bringing me much needed caffeine in the form of coffee, and helping with the break-down session. But alas, it's not all work and no play... we were able to reward ourselves with some delish wine following the show at Aquitaine, I believe it was 14 Hands Merlot. Yum!
See you on Saturday in Wellesley... yes, I am a crazy person who has overscheduled herself! But I love it!!

No comments: