Monday, July 20, 2009

Pittsfield Art Show July 18+19, great press and an award!

Before I left for Pittsfield on Friday, July 17th, I got a call from the South Shore Art Center in Cohasset, MA and they informed me that my painting “Reading Time With Spot” (above) had received an Honorable Mention in the Blue Ribbon Members Exhibit (July 17-August 30). Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it to the opening reception that evening since I was on my way to the Berkshires and can’t be in two places at once. yet... but I understand from those that did attend the opening that the dog put the juror over the edge... I'm so glad someone appreciates my sense of humor ;) So after a quick 3 hour drive, I spent the weekend in western Mass for the 5th annual Pittsfield Art Show, adjacent to the Lichtenstein Center for the Arts. I was concerned throughout week that the weather wouldn’t cooperate but as it turned out, the weather was beautiful and it was perfect for being outside… not too hot, a nice breeze and no humidity! finally! Saturday went smoothly and there was a nice steady crowd all day. After packing up for the day, I went to dinner with Kathy (of K Dichter Designs) and her super friend Nancy who helps her out at shows. Somehow we managed to figure out what to order and then eat even though we were all wiped out and drained from the long day. After carb loading and a mediocre cocktail at a place not worth mentioning, I headed back to the Travelodge for a night of stale air, broken toilet seat and cigarette burned sheets (ew! I definitely don’t recommend).
But all was well when I returned to the show Sunday morning and found out that my photo was featured in The Berkshire Eagle. Thank you photographer Caroline Bonnivier! Awesome! Throughout the weekend I met some great people including my neighbors from Connecticut Ray and Ruth Laliberte, woodcrafter and jeweler who were great company and help throughout the weekend, along with local artisans (to the Berkshires) Angela Dimock, photographer, and Jill Balawender of Cheshire Glassworks. If you’re in the area, look them up and check out their work! And as far as enjoying the environs after the show, I wish I’d run into Anne and Steve of Berkshires Now prior to Sunday afternoon because their website is all about where to eat and play in Western Massachusetts. Their video clips and photos from inside restaurants are helpful and entertaining!

No comments: